On The Mic Training is located in Gastown in Downtown Vancouver but we do not provide student housing, luckily since we are so centrally located their are many options close to public transit for a student budget that are less than an hour from the school.
Students should look into basement suites, apartment shares, and multiplex houses. Here are a few neighbourhoods we recommend looking into for affordable student housing which are on main transit lines to Downtown:
- Kitsilano – Located just over the water from the South side of Downtown, this neighbourhood has long been an area with affordable student housing for students. And is only 20 minutes away from the school on the 4, 44, 16, 14, or 2 bus.
- East Vancouver – East Vancouver is a big area but with tons of personality and easy access to transit. A dozen bus lines run towards Downtown and there are lots of options in East Vancouver close to the Skytrain.
- Marpole – Further afield than Kitsilano but with access to the Cambie corridor and the Canada Line Skytrain this area is quiet but still less than 45 minutes from Downtown.
- Kerrisdale – This has tons of houses with basement suites but doesn’t offer as much transit to Downtown as Kitsilano or Marpole. A student’s best bet in this area is the 16 bus which does run to Downtown and close to the school, this area is a good option if they have a car.
- North Burnaby – Although this area may feel far away the big advantage to North Burnaby is its proximity to the Millennium line Skytrain which runs East / West from Clark all the way to Port Moody. A student can switch from the line at Commercial Drive and be at the school in 25 minutes.
- South Burnaby – South Burnaby has prime access to the Expo line Skytrain which goes direct to Waterfront station, a 7 minute walk to the school. There are tons of student options around this neighbourhood.
- New West – The furthest area we recommend from the school but it still has full access to the Expo line and a ton of more affordable housing options, the commute from New West is about an hour but it may be worth exploring this unique neighbourhood.
- The West End – The West side of Downtown has long been a convenient and affordable housing solution for those who work and study Downtown. This may be a more expensive option but will mean a short commute.
Here are a few different resources to look through:
* This list is provided only for informational purposes and is not in any way to be interpreted as a recommendation, warranty or representation of any kind. On The Mic Training neither inspects nor endorses any unit or home, landlord, property location, website and roommate listing. It is the student’s responsibility to exercise due care and judgement when choosing a rental.